Thursday, October 2, 2008

Celebrate Good Times

The teachers here are so nice. This is what the lunch hour looked like today in the teachers’ lounge:

Vanessa says they love to find reasons to celebrate good things (and drink a little but not too much because they have to work…), so lunch will be like this again tomorrow. Today was for a teacher’s birthday; tomorrow will be for me and Andrea, the German teaching assistant. I still haven’t met her but she does in fact exist. Andrea has a flat in Flers, near the other school on her assignment. I think that I like not having to worry about commuting and remember twice as many names…

I accomplished the following three important things today:

  1. I got my work schedule and I really like it because my hours aren’t spaced out throughout the day and I have Fridays off.
  2. I opened a bank account. This is important because you can’t get access to that paycheck without it. I am the newest customer of Crédit du Nord. Having this account also means I can request a pay advance after completed item 3 on this list…
  3. I signed all of my employment paperwork. This means I am now officially an employee of the French government, working at Lycée Charles Tellier.

When I came back to the flat this evening, I was surprised to find I had been kicked out of my room. This is not really the proper way to say it but that’s almost what happened. All of my belongings were removed and I’m temporarily living in the smaller room next to mine while they finish painting and wallpapering my room. Given the work I’ve observed since my arrival, they’ll be in there until next Monday.

This was a pretty short post, probably because I posted yesterday as well. But fear not, I will post again very soon.


Bises,

Mlle. Alicia

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hello Alicia,
Today was my first time up on your blog, and I find it most interesting. I am so happy for you that you are having this moment of adventure. Each day's writing has been most interesting. I wish you the best and I can't wait to read more! Do take good care of yourself. Love you much!!!

Auntie Dana